Signups for the 2014 grain share are now open!
We have an exciting change this year - customizable shares. Starting this year, you will still sign up for a full share or a half share, and then once the harvests are in, we’ll tell you the crops and you can choose how much you want of each one from. You have been asking and we are delivering. Pretty Sweet eh!
This year we will also feature an increased selection of grains as we work with some new farm partners to bring us barley, rye, oats, and buckwheat!
Other improvements this year will include more milling stations, video tutorials and recipes to get you really cooking!
We are two local food lovers, who started our careers working in professional kitchens and created Wheatberry Bakery & Cafe in Amherst, MA. In 2008, inspired by our experiences as bakers and as small farmers, we started working with local farmers to grow local grains, and created the PVHG CSA to bring those grains right to the tables of families in our communities.
Below is a list of crops being grown this year. (Each year 80%+ of the crops come in but success varies by season.)
Planted for this year -
- “Red Lammas” hard red winter wheat (heirloom)
- “Frederick” white winter wheat
- Emmer (Known as Farro in Italy)
- “Nothstine Dent” Corn
- “Plymouth Flint” Corn
- Black Turtle Beans
- Pinto Beans
- Winter Rye
- “Tom Thumb”Popcorn
Unmilled grains should be stored in a cool, dry place to avoid spoilage. We recommend plastic bins or glass jars with loose lids to allow air in. You don’t need anything that special – just a regular kitchen cupboard or counter!
- Grains are given to members unmilled for keeping quality
- Milling is available 7 days a week at Waltham Fields Community Farm. Several Pioneer Valley milling locations are coming this spring.
- or a home sized mills can be used and cost between $50 and $200. Click here to visit our store, which has recommended mills and more!
2013 pickups were:
Each member picks up their entire share on either date. Please make sure you or someone you know can pick up your share before signing up.